Tuesday, March 10, 2009

tonight, tonight (referencing Smashing Pumpkins, incase that wasn't clear.)

Today must be the full moon,
because I went to Wal-Mart, and the perfect place for out of the ordinary is on the night of a full moon.

It was maybe the third time I've been into a Wal-Mart, first time in Bellingham.
And I realized it is the only place here I haven't felt a part of an overwhelmingly racially homogeneous town. There were hispanic and Chinese people there. Seeing them first made me happy, you know, to see people that weren't exactly like me, then it made me angry and sad and self-conscious because all i could think of was the economic divide that breaks up this town racially. Scratch that: breaks up this country racially.


On a far less serious and depressing note, after we--Rochelle and I--were done shopping as we drove home I exasperated, "we should drive somewhere, just keep driving to...somewhere."
"Okay!" Rochelle responded quickly and eagerly.
"But I mean like another state." I said skeptical her eagerness would follow.
"Let's go to Oregon!" she replied clearly actually into the idea.
...
"or we could drive Chuckanut!" she continued, offering a more realistic destination.
"Okay."

So we drove off into the night, didn't find Chuckanut Drive, but found some other road. We drove and drove, listening to Classical music. I watched the moon and recorded the sound of us on our miniature road trip on my new Wal-Mart voice recorder. It was art.

No comments: