Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ghanaian girl

I dreamt I was on the coast with my family, a dog, and some extra people. All adults.
We were sitting on this structure made of many layers of docks, some creaky and small, some entire platforms. Shaun had a very long fragile stick that he loved. He set it down for a moment and somebody picked it up and accidentally snapped it.
They left it there for him to find, too ashamed to admit their fault.
Shaun found it and was annoyed. He searched around trying to find the culprit, while I watched, knowing who had done it. I felt guilty, but also powerless.

Later I was living in a wooden cabin. There was a communal living space. It must have been a college setting because we were learning things and making things. There was a white room that I entered with a huge fabric sculpture in it. It was a project I was working on. I leaned into it, and looked down. I was meant to figure out how to sew it a specific way to follow the guidelines of the project. David Wall came over and looked. He gave me some advice and then left. I was grateful and began doing more work on it. I was scraping fur off of the fabric with a razor.

Then an African girl came in the white room where I was working. She was wearing a head wrap, long sleeve shirt, and a skirt that reached her feet. Her skin was almost black. We began talking and she expressed a concern that she wasn't happy being there. We spoke about her reasons, and finally she admitted to really hating Bellingham and everything about it. I suggested she move to Seattle because, I assumed Ghana, where she was from, must have been "more of a hustle bustle city like Seattle is" compared to here. She said "actually no, I lived in a village." "Oh. Well, still, you would probably like Seattle better." Then I advised she look into transfering because that wouldn't be too complicated and she wouldn't need to spend a bunch of money moving far away, or applying, and she wouldn't have to suffer staying here any longer.
She appreciated the advise. While we spoke we exited onto the porch. She told me it was newly added to the cabin. She explained that was why the mother and two kids looking at us timidly through the window pane to our side weren't coming out onto the porch. They were nervous of it, and didn't trust it.
I thought that was very odd, and primitive, then I woke up.

No comments: