Monday, March 16, 2009

just dreamin'

I dreamt I had to play a part, in a huge play, but the full character of the my role hadn't been revealed to me yet.
I was in a room with ladies who were setting me up with a disgusting man. The man was clearly unworthy of my character so I treated him as such.
Then another, rambunctious man walked into the same little room--which was now a bathroom. As he walked in I was putting on more layers of makeup. Powder was flying through the air and I tried ignoring his presence by looking into the mirror at my eyes, putting eye shadow on.
He was very assertive, and male chauvinist, but he was charming. He sat down in a swivel chair and pulled me down to sit on his lap. I was wearing a Victorian style dress with frills and layers. We fit perfectly seated together. It was extremely comfortable.
He swiveled us around the room, pointing at paintings that he'd done which portray the superiority of the male gender. (He was an actor from the Upfront that I recognized. I remember thinking I wanted to tell him after our skit how much I enjoyed his show a couple months ago.) I felt my character should be angry at him for his pompousness, but I didn't know any of my lines so I mostly stayed silent and let him go on and on.
He tried feeding me one of my lines but I didn't know it at all. It felt terrible not knowing anything while he was streaming off paragraphs.
So I continued to sit there with him, and he began pointing out how terrible a few paintings done by women were, and how they were devoid of the masculinity that makes it powerful.

At another point I had to walk to an appointment. It was a long ways away from town, but I spoke with my parents over the phone and they said they would pick me up. So I went ahead. It was night by the time the meeting was done. I had to go to the gym they referred me too. As I walked from the office to the gym I realized it was already 11 pm, and my parents wouldn't be able to pick me up. But it was pitch black outside and there were hardly any street lamps. I was scared walking down the sidewalks but did it anyways. I arrived at the gym and there was a group of men loitering outside smoking cigarettes around a small raised garden box. They were all intimidating.
I called my parents and dad answered. I woke him up and he said "No Carissa! Of course we can't pick you up out there. That's too far. That would take us at least an hour!" then he hung up.
I clearly was upset, and unsure of how I would get home. I couldn't walk the whole way back. I wanted to call back and say that instead I'll sleep on the steps outside the gym and how I'm sure they'd love to know their daughter is on the streets like a homeless person, but I didn't.
The men began to harass me. Not physically, but with their words. They were making seriously crude remarks about an abstract woman, but then they would look my direction and smirk. It was horrible. I stood there letting them do that for a while,
then it was the next day,
and my parents along with hundreds of people came to the gym.
We were told to line up single file around a vast swimming pool and do certain stretches.
We all were getting bored, so all of a sudden a middle-age woman, wearing a baby yellow full body bathing suit, across the pool from me began to belt out a song. She was not a good singer, but she was bored enough not to care.

Then I woke up.

No comments: