Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I'm having a moment

This is silly.
Sparked by a completely innocent chat now I'm feeling all confused and muddled in my brain.

I know I'm only an undergraduate so I've got the excuse of young age and inexperience to shield me from the judgment of others...but that shield doesn't work against myself.
So I feel like I should know what I'm doing with my art.
But I don't.
And that's stressing me out.
And it shouldn't.
But I simply, can't help it.

Some times there are these times, when there's nothing I can do to tell myself it's okay even though I know it is.
What I need is someone or something else to reassure me, it really is okay...
You don't have to figure it ALL out.
ever.

2 comments:

_explosions said...

well, it sounds like you have figured it out, "that you don't have to have it all figured out".

i think that "purposeful" and "deliberate" are more mature qualities to art than aimless and "happy accident". but it does seem that growth in art encompasses all of those things.

struggling with not-knowing what's going on with your work, and wanting to find out seems to be a much better place to be in than not-knowing, and not caring.

Calli said...

I was having a severe attack of that feeling before I dropped 494-you probably remember me calling you crying. So I feel like I can relate to this.
It sounds like you already know it will be ok, but just in case it helps it will! It WILL be ok.
I really admire your work because you make amazing things out of your ideas.
Plus you seem to always be considering and studying your larger context-other artists and other people and bringing those perspectives to your work.
That's fairly rare for a young artist.
I'm not just a fan because I consider you a friend!You're an awesome artist. It's probably one of the cheesiest things I've said-yikes!-but your work often inspires me.
oh man this is all probably a little too much, but I mean it.uh sorry...feel better:)