Sunday, March 1, 2009

pregnant in China

I slept twelve entire hours last night. That's a lot. And now I feel hazy with a thick fog of something lingering on my brain.

But, I remember some dream stuff.
I was pregnant and Leila (my sister-in-law) was with me. We were in a doctor's office and I thought, "How did I end up here? I guess it's too late to make plans to give birth at home!" A man came in with the regular doctor garb and as I lay on a table with my knees up and legs spread he picked up something off the counter. He turned and I saw it in his hand. While he spoke with Leila I gawked at this thing. It looked like a nightguard for your teeth but four times bigger and with a handle and clamp. He saw me looking and made a comical face that expressed he knew it was a crazy contraption but that's just the way it is with birthing...
So he came over to me and propped me open with it. This would create an easier canal for the baby to travel through. But, baby wasn't ready.
I lied there waiting for baby to come out but she was still. I didn't have any contractions. We were all bored, so we went on our way.

Later I was still pregnant, but now in China.

Later my parents and I were traveling by car through a rough rocky landscape. We stopped in a few places and had a tour guide, a creepy creepy tour guide, who kept explaining how people had died in a variety of locations. A few other people were with us. At one point I sat on a moist rock just above the beginning of an enormous waterfall. The mist was covering me, but I could see that three young people were in the water at the edge of the waterfall. The tour guide was speaking and suddenly, the young boy dove straight into the water, in effect killing himself as he plunged to the depths of the fall.

Later we were arriving in China. We entered a large square and went straight to a passport control office at the other end. A woman showed us each individually a bronze object which meant we had to sign something, then give her a dollar. Then we were set. I may have still been pregnant.

(Leila, I think I dreamt about your pregnancy. But I also think pregnancy was a symbol here of a new beginning, since it was sort of paired with dreams of China...interesting)

4 comments:

leila said...

wow. all i can think of is TWELVE HOURS OF SLEEP. that's an obscene amount. can you lend me some?

Carissa said...

yes, you can have some of my hours of sleep. i'll send it by mail. it'll arrive in a few days.

leila said...

um ... i'm going to need it sooner than that. how about you fedex it? FOR TONIGHT.

Carissa said...

deal!