Friday, January 23, 2009

two-stringed instrument.

I was a part of a casual orchestral performance that consisted primarily of acoustic guitars. We were seated in an arc, facing the crowd. Everyone was seated on those brown fold out chairs.

I was beside an older man, who was leading the group. On my other side were the rest of the group, all young people like myself.
As we began I looked out into the crowd. I made eye contact with a few people looking back at me. They were intently watching me, but I wasn't nervous. I looked down at my instrument and realized that in my haste, had chosen an instrument I couldn't play. There was an array of instruments to choose from, displayed like bowling balls in a bowling alley. I had picked up the most unusual one. It was antique and only fitted with two strings. It didn't actually work at all. I plucked at it as the other performers began. I kept plucking, leaned my head in close to hear the thump of the strings against the board, thinking "this really isn't going to work out." I looked up again. The same people were watching me, and still I wasn't nervous.

I got up during the performance, walked over to the row of instruments and began searching for one to switch out with mine. While off to the side doing this, I realized I actually had no musical talent and wouldn't be able to play any of the instruments. I thought, "why am I performing right now?" and the dream ended.



I've been having these subtle developments in my dreams recently where I am aware of something being off about what's happening. It's not quite a lucid feeling, but at least a quasi-lucid one. I link things to reality. So even though I didn't recognize that in reality I was not in that bowling alley performance hall, I did recognize that in reality I have no musical talent. Hmmmmmmmmmm

No comments: