Tuesday, January 13, 2009

a lot of dream (warning: not proof read.)

Standing, elbows resting on a countertop, watching a woman speak on the phone.
with no regards to common sense and courtesy I blurted out "Did I get in?! Are those my papers?!" acknowledging that she was rifling through a stack of letters that clearly said on top Acceptance Letters.
I had applied to some art program at some school and she was the one with my letter.

She pulled the receiver from her face, looked at me and said something like, "You're just going to yell at me while I am on the phone misses?!" And I cattily replied, "yes."
I looked over to a friend I was with and smirked. She smirked back, a little uncomfortably back, as though she just wanted to appease me but didn't agree with my behavior.

There was also something about China. There were kids. I was in an art space. These kids were visiting from a school. One of them had an awesome pencil I sat on a couch admiring for a while, reflecting on how America has less cool pencils and pens than China, and wondering why that was.
There was a group of adults. My mother, also the hostess of the event, was an uptight Persian woman with long flowing wavy black hair, wearing a well-fit black dress with a tiny flower pattern. She was not happy about hosting the event, but felt it was her duty. She organized food and drinks, and did all of the talking.
When she left, the talking stopped. Nobody took over her role. The entire group of adults, sitting in fold out chairs around the room, sat in silence.
The kids must have been presenting a project for the adults, and I was in charge of that, but I don't remember much of that part.

I was also in a canyon at one point.
I didn't want to be somewhere, so I flew into the canyon to visit a friend who was at the bottom of it. I flew down, so it was more like falling, gracefully.
I landed in a pile of coins. They were coins from all over the world, and my friend was nearly worshiping a huge pillar he had formed out of them. It was taller than he or I and appeared like a butte. He only spoke with me to encourage me to be enthralled by the coins. I was depressed by that, realizing that he had become obsessed with money. I looked around me and saw how deep in this canyon we were. The rock walls reached so high above us you could hardly see any sky.
I flew somewhere else, but once again not really by flying. This time I transported.

I went to tell the Persian woman that my friend had lost himself to coins. She didn't care. She was too wrapped up in how she would please her guests who were due to arrive soon. I had to help her prepare.
There was a guy there. He and I apparently grew up together, or saw each other often over the course of our childhoods. He had to help prepare as well.
We were joking around and I told him to sit on my lap. He did, then I reached my arms around him, holding him tight.
The sensation of gripping my hands together around his waist, ruffling his sweatshirt, was so clear. I can feel it now. We sat there like that. Then my actual mom was there, and the Persian mom was there. I made some joke that was funny and that made the lap sitting seem normal. The Persian woman replied by suggesting he and I marry.
I could feel through him that he felt the way I did about him, and always had. And that despite the awkward context and timing of her comment, we would marry one day.

I also remember one of the little Chinese kids was really chubby.

The event with adults didn't go over well, and they all left. So I hung out with all of their kids afterward, feeding them the leftover cake.
It had bright pink frosting, and was half a foot tall, with four or five layers of chocolate cake, with more pink frosting between each.
I made them each eat an enormous slab.
They didn't particularly enjoy it.
By the end, I looked in each of their faces, asking them to honestly tell me whether or not it made them feel sick. Some of them even had sweaty bangs pasted to their foreheads. Those were the ones I knew should have informed me earlier they were beginning to feel sick. Only one kid seemed to honestly have enjoyed eating the cake.
I knew most Chinese kids don't like sugar, but I wanted to prove that idea false. I failed, and just gave them all fevers.

No comments: