Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sleepless in Seattle

I've already posted more than plenty today but I wanted to record a little thing that I thought was funny from today.

I went to the airline office more than half an hour taxi ride away, to get my new ticket and pay a fine. After sitting in the office a long time, they told me I needed to pay 800 yuan...more than one hundred dollars. I didn't have that much in my wallet in yuan so I asked if there was a place I could change the dollars I had. I literally said 'a place where I give them dollars they give me yuan,' because I didn't know how to say exchange money...
Anyway. I'm rambling.

A lady in the office said 'follow me!' so I did. We played followe the leader and arrived at the Bank, waited for a while, then when I told her in Chinese she could go back to work and I could stay there, she realized I knew a few words so we started chatting. We talked about all the places I just went to, and then I told her I'm studying in university and that I'm from Seattle...She, along with every other person I've told, recognized the name.
(I'm rambling again.)

Everyone seems to know Seattle here, so I asked her why that was. She said it was because of a movie. I knew immediately which one she meant. Sleepless in Seattle!
So now all the Chinese people know there's many bookstores, lonely people, and houseboats in Seattle.

No comments: