Saturday, August 16, 2008

library

Today Leila and I went to the Seattle Central Library so I could see the architecture of the building, and to attend a talk by David B.-the easy to remember English name of a strongly-accented French graphic novel writer/artist. Pierre-François Beauchard is his real name.

This is the man who inspired and helped publish the writer of Persepolis...but he didn't mention it in the talk. Leila just knew that somehow, then she asked him to confirm it when we went up for book signing.
We bought books, if that wasn't obvious by my last statement.
We both bought the book 'Epileptic' which is about him growing up while realizing his brother has Epilepsy and the story of his brother's progression into the disease.
Instead of just signing the books he drew a picture to fill the inner title page. In the line, which took about an hour to get to the front of, I was thinking I'd really like him to draw a moon in my sketch. I was thinking I'd ask him to do that once we got to him...but by the time we did he seemed so exhausted of the constant drawing and there were still a few people behind me. So I didn't. I figured he would draw the main character riding a striped horse because that's what he did for maybe a third of the people wanting book signings. That or the other common drawing of the boy sitting.
He drew the boy standing looking at an open book with a face, with a moon behind him in the sky! I laughed out loud when he started drawing the moon and said 'I was going to ask you to draw a moon for me. Thankyou.' He may or may not have thought that was a weird thing to say, but it was necessary.

I think I'll start reading it tomorrow because today I've already entered the sleep-wake zone. Life gets weird around 5 pm, and increasingly strange as it gets later.

No comments: