Sunday, August 3, 2008

Cai Guo Qiang




This is one of 9 tigers frozen mid air and full of arrows. It was made as a reflection on human cruelty.


Head On
This is an installation of 99 wolves leaping and crashing into a glass wall. Its purpose, as he wrote, is to "comment on the human fallibility of following collective ideology and society's fate to repeat mistakes."


Innoportune: Stage One

Another exciting artist.
This guy is really big. He became known for using gunpowder on Chinese paper to create works. Apparently, according to an article, this conceptually could relate to Mao's saying "Destroy nothing, create nothing."
I learned today that he is orchestrating the fireworks display at the opening ceremony of the Olympics. I also realized that I've seen his work in Seattle at the SAM. My dad and I talked about the car installation for a significant amount of time...but I didn't catch the artists' name apparently. It was made in response to 9/11 and is meant to appear like a car bomb.

No comments: