Sunday, August 3, 2008

last night's dream

It started off silly, and ended up incredibly sad.

First I was in a vacant bar/club with a few friends. We were just sitting around on the couches looking around at the empty room and dance floor. The lights were mostly off so it was dimly lit and quite boring. We sat there for a while, then entered another room that had something like fluorescents lighting over a long rectangular table. There were some other people sitting in there and we went to join them. There will small bowls of rippled spicy chips. After we sat the conversation really didn't pick up, so I pulled one of the bowls over to me out of boredom, and began picking through the chip remains. I picked one up and it turned out there was a chip game that they had previously been playing and thought I was starting up again.

I held the chip in the air and the person sitting beside me looked over at it too. A girl across the room from me made this horrible face and it made me feel bad, so I made it into a joke. I said 'Man, she's really looking at me as though she's saying "This girl is a moron! she doesn't know how to play the chip game!" Everyone laughed and I was automatically cool.

Then I realized there was a box of cards to the left of the chip I was still holding up in the air. You are meant to pick up a chip, look at it, then pick a card and answer the question...

Then my dream changed, other things happened I don't recall.

Then it changed again and I was on a public bus, standing up as we rode through a city. On the bus were a bunch of old friends of mine so we caught up. I saw Dominic and his fiance Chelsea so I went to say hello. I first went over to Dominic and was like "Hey! I haven't seen you in sooo long! How are things??" and he, far less excitedly, replied "Oh you know, things are alright" and didn't follow up his comment with the return question of how I was. I thought, that was a bust. So I went over to Chelsea and tried encouraging some happiness out of her, but she also was depressed. I asked her what was wrong and then the three of us were alone together and I found out her mother has breast cancer. I sat with her crying and I was able to hear her thoughts. We didn't speak, she just looked at me as I cried and thought about whether or not my compassion was real. At first she was weary, but after some time she realized I genuinely felt bad for her. I thought about how I really shouldn't be crying because it could make it worse for her, and finally got myself together and thought of some constructive advice I could give. She thought Western had a medical department and was going to look to them for help, but I advised her to go to UW because they have a full-on hospital. I also told her about people I know who have survived cancer. She didn't have much hope for a positive outcome and neither did Dominic. I overheard him accidentally telling someone the sad news was that her mother had died already.

I'm not sure exactly how this conversation went, but we still were not using words from our mouths. Our communication somehow involved a small dog. ?

No comments: