Sunday, February 8, 2009

expelling sleepy thoughts

Recently, when trying to go to bed, I begin thinking about my future.
My heart rate speeds up, and my mind races, as I try to pinpoint the exact goals I need to set and meet in the next few years of life, outside of university.

Just now lying in bed, I came up with guidelines. The reasoning isn't fully clear, but these are the thoughts that have been running around up there. (I'm hoping typing them out will allow me to rid them from my conscious and lend some peace to sleep in.)

I've got until age 30 to complete a Master's program in a Chinese university (if I'm accepted.) I'll need at least 2 years to feel competent enough in Chinese to attend school there. Then 2 years in the program. That leaves me a whopping leeway of 5 years where I can prepare to be a professor (if I'm hired.) If before 30 I have not fallen in love and married, then I can begin my career and have 20 good years of teaching...or, I guess, I could anyway. But babies, they're going to happen some time, so I don't know how many years (hopefully.) And then, well, that's it. That's what I've done with my life. That sounds pretty good, fulfilling.
Then I started freaking out about what I need to do first. Teach English?
Then began to think of the smell and feel of China, a tiled floor of a hallway, the swarms of people on sidewalks, the 798 district, and a thick Chinese accent. Why is it so appealing?

Now seriously, body and mind, I really want to sleep.

No comments: