Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Holy Day and bikes

Today we went to a Baha'i Holy day, the first I've been to in China.
There were probably about 80 or so people-all foreigners-from a variety of places.

I saw somebody my sister knew really well, named Jessyn. He's from Mauritius so it's unusual he's here. I also met someone who also lives in Washington, here for his brother's wedding. Also, during the social time a man came up to me and said he was from Olympia and commented on the difference in air quality between there and here...which are significant.

Afterwards we went to the Baha'i-after-holy-day hang-out, which is a Persian restaurant. It was delicious and I realized the truth of it's popularity when the place eventually was full of Baha'is.
We met a girl who recently graduated from university, working with a wind turbine company here. Justin and Sebrina are trying to work on getting Shaun (my other brother) over here to do the same, since it is an interest of his. I doubt that will happen though, with his dislike for crowds, and a wife with a germinating baby.

After lunch Justin and I went to the gym, and I had a long conversation with a few high-school girls that wanted to practice their English. That was fun, and unusual for me. When I'm at the gym here I sort of feel like I'm back in America, so to get all of that attention felt odd, but I tried running with it. The girl I talked to is in love with the idea of going to America and thinks Americans are beautiful. She wants to become a flight attendant so she can travel to America. It's frustrating when people you see as equal put you on a pedestal. They tell you you're beautiful and that your country is but when you reply with the same kind words they don't seem to believe it.

Next time at the gym if we're both there at the same time again I'm sure we'll have another conversation, bike by bike.

No comments: