Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Dream and Matchmaking

Dream:
Last night I dreamt I was at the same house for a big party that I've been to before in dream land. It was the third party at that house actually.
I was with my friend Katie and everyone was pretty akward. The house was more like a mansion and the windows were enormous, looking out onto a scape of vast city. The path leading to the house was on a steep slope.
Towards the end of the evening everyone but Katie, a few other people and I left. They all crammed into the back of a semi-truck, sitting side by side on the floor of the truck. I have no clue where they were going, but the owner of the house entrusted me with his key...which was very heavy. I couldn't figure out how to lock the house without keeping the key so I handed it off to some random person at the party before I left with Katie.

The significant part of the dream to me is the fact that it's a place that exists in dream-land and the fact that I've revisited it twice.




Matchmaking follow-up:
Yesterday was odd.
The bachelor and his friend who know the ayi came over early, around 10 am, and they started working on making jiaozi (chinese dumplings.) They wouldn't let us help and the kitchen isn't big enough to force yourself into, so Justin, Sebrina and I sat in the living room chatting. Justin and I got in a bit of a heated discussion for the first time ever, and eventually resolved it before they were done chopping in the kitchen. They came out with the innards and we all made the dumplings together. While we were putting them together, the woman arrived.
There was a lot of small talk because of unfamiliarity and language barriers. When we sat down to eat the interesting stuff started coming up.
The woman told them she owns a cat and she calls it her baby. The friend of the man replied, so you are lonely...We talked about her loneliness for a good 10 minutes until the woman was able to change the subject elegantly.
Then they told us about how the man is very shy.
Then they went on to explain all of his good qualities, like sincerity, honesty, and so on.
Unfortunately, none of us were being the spokesperson for the woman, so it ended up a strange dynamic where most of the conversation revolved around talking up the man who sat there quietly.
Apparently, if a person expresses a desire to find a mate, someone who they would like to marry someday, then their family gets fully involved. They set up a meeting just like this with a meal and have lengthy conversations, going back and forth about the respective parties' good qualities.
The gathering ended up lasting a full 5 hours, probably partly due to the amount of time it took to express a thought, often needing the aid of dictionaries.

After they got one another's phone numbers as seemed required, the two of them left. The ayi walked them out both because it's polite, and because she needed to get the scoop on what he thought of her. Immediately after they left Justin and I jumped on the woman (not literally. she would probably die if we put that much weight on top of her at once...) and said 'So, tell us what you thought?!'
She said she didn't feel like he was interested in her. She felt it would be easier for him to find someone who could speak Chinese better and that it would too difficult. Justin made the point that there are plenty of chinese women who don't speak english dating foreign men who don't speak chinese, but somehow that's just different.
I feel like his shyness made her feel unwanted. That makes sense, I think no matter the culture that could happen.
She expressed that she'll have to keep doing this until she finds the right guy. Sebrina suggested talking to my father because he has been a successful matchmaker in the past, so hopefully he's reading this and gets a heads up. I might have to e-mail him with what I understand her qualities are and see if he knows anyone... :P

But, apparently, as we found out in the evening, he did indeed like her and was interested.
That's what the ayi said at least.
I don't think she is interested in entertaining the thought much longer, but we'll see.

The story continues.

No comments: