Saturday, July 11, 2009

rant

Alright so I've got to do this.
Today at Boulevard park I was sitting, having a pleasant time in the sunshine with Maryann and Evan behind me slack-lining merrily.

And then.
Two beautiful black women walk into the park, and immediately the group of middle-aged white men sitting at a table near me, eating their steak, began saying things like "oooooh, look at that. come over here ladies. damn." and so on. One, I swear to god, was making smoochy faces towards them.
It took every fiber of my body not to go over there and curse them out.
I hardly ever get mad at people, and I hardly curse, but seriously?! Can you be so oblivious? or can you really be such a jerk that you shamelessly propagate sexism and racism all at once?...when that's exactly what so many people are working so hard to eliminate?!??!!?!?!

I wanted so badly to go over there. So badly. If they had just been a notch louder with their comments I would have. If I thought it would make a difference if I yelled at them, I would have.
Instead I thought about how these women had no clue they were being objectified and cried about it...which also helps nothing.
But what can you do with that anger?
Nothing productive.

So now I'll remember how they look and every time I see a man who resembles them I'm going to have a hard time not judging them. And I regret that.

1 comment:

leila said...

And it also sounds like they were overcompensating about their sexuality. A group of middle-aged men picnicking in a park? They have to make lots of I'm A Heterosexual comments, a bit loudly, to let people around them know that they're not ... you know. Gay.