Thursday, July 30, 2009

boardwalk jumping.

Yesterday Jeremy and I jumped off the boardwalk at Boulevard.
It was terrifying,
thrilling,
and
satisfying.

It was always one of those things. I've walked the boardwalk a thousand times, each time the weather is nice teenagers would be balancing on the outer edge of the railing, teetering a little before jumping.
I always thought "oh those kids. they're so brave...and young."
Yes, I pretended I was an old woman to justify not doing it myself. It was my age, not a fear of heights that kept me from jumping.

Anyways, Jeremy suggested it. I said no a few times, then yes, because I'm moving away and that's the best time to do things you don't particularly want to do because you won't be in that place with that option pretty soon.
I was scared. But so was he.
Both of us said stupid nonsensical things as we stood, toes dangling off the edge. Both of us had a heart beating like we were doing cardio while standing there, still.
And both of us jumped.

It's not like it's really all that high, but it felt like it was.
And it's not like it was all that big of a deal for me,
but it was.


p.s. the first time, on the way down i screamed louder than i've screamed since childhood tantrums.

No comments: