Thursday, July 23, 2009

the comfort of nature

Started off with a "moderate to strenuous" hike up the pine and cedar lake trail...on (happy) accident. There was a lot of laughing, at least on my part, because Jeremy, Dana and John are always cracking jokes. Pretty funny ones too.

As we approached the top it felt like we had climbed into the clouds. There was mist everywhere, droplets of it were falling. But it wasn't rain.
It was peaceful and surreal up there.
When we got to one of the lakes there was a notable silence except for the occasional yelling from people on the other side. I wished they weren't there, but that's not fair really. But in the moments when they were quiet there was complete calm.
Then we went to find the viewpoints, and found a large rock that seemed like one of the official look out points. We sat there looking out but it was all mist. Multiple elderly folk came by asking what we should be able to see out there, and to each one we said we had no clue. One of them said her "gut insect" told her it should be a view of the San Juans.
If only she had laughed at her own silly mistake I could have burst out and released the pressure in my chest from my hidden snickering! Gut Insect! That's hilarious.

Anyways, that was all really fun.

Then tonight I went out on an evening stroll by myself and it was also fantastic. I saw the sunset at Boulevard while listening to Cat Stevens on my ipod. As I walked along bobbing my head to his sweet melodies I felt some genuine happiness mixed in with a touch of melancholy. Walking home there was an amazing rainbow.
Rainbow + sunset + cat stevens = incredible.

All in all today was a reminder that nature is healing.
I've been feeling on and off sad, overwhelmed, lonely, and nervous.
But hiking into the cloudy mist, hearing water pitter-patter on leaves, and seeing the sky saturated with deep hues makes everything better.

No comments: