Monday, December 15, 2008

a variety

So I'm in New Mexico now.
I arrived the other day. My two flights were delayed, the first by three hours, the second by one, making the total hours of the journey about 12. That's not necessarily a complaint though, because I enjoy airports. A lot.
I got a lot of reading done, and saw some interesting people. This is depressing, but I wrote it down from Invisibly Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk-my travelling read
"Besides, it happens so fast for some people and slow for some, accidents or gravity, but we all end up mutilated. Most women know this feeling of being more and more invisible every day."
It reminded me of Synecdoche, NY when Philip Seymour Hoffman is in the cart driving, passing the time as he is waiting and approaching his death.

On another note, it's good to see mom and dad. Oddly, it feels like I saw them last week even though it's actually been nearly half of a year. I think that means I'm maturing, or it means I'm losing touch with reality.
Maybe both?

Today we chatted, had coffee, found the Georgia O'Keefe book still packed in a box, ate New Mexican food, talked with the family who provided us with that food, had more coffee, went to the grocery store, watched Coffee and Cigarettes, then watched a series of other things.
Oh, and just found out Matthew Barney and Bjork are possibly broken up. That's both heartbreaking and relieving. So much genius fused together at once seems dangerous, it's probably better they're seperate to diffuse some of it to other parts of the globe.


Also, during and for a few hours after reading through some of Georgia O'Keefe's letters, I became very sad. She chose to move from NY to NM to almost escape civilization. She was generally happy in her independence, but loved a man still in NY and had close friends there. Through her letters you could feel her longing to be with them struggling against the ease she felt where she had settled. It made me miss certain people and I couldn't help but combine her emotion with what I've got on my own, amplifying my feelings to an unreasonable degree.
Anyway, I appreciate and admire her honesty with the people she loved. That's something I hope I have somewhat acheived so far and want to build upon with years...becoming more invisible to the world as it loves me less, and the world becoming more visible to me as I love it more.

No comments: