Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Synecdoche and pain

I just got back from watching the movie Synecdoche, New York. I'm not going to start writing about what I thought, because it's too much to ponder right now all at once.
But, I also think you should watch this, no matter what kind of person you are, because it's a movie about life.

On a different topic,
tomorrow I'm doing a performance piece about pain.
I'm pretty excited about it and slightly nervous. It's for my fibers course. We were instructed to create a wearable object--clothing, accessory, whatever we could think of. The plan is to have a "fashion" show to display our work. We were asked to choose a song to have played while we walk our piece down a "runway." That all seemed relatively cool, but I wanted to make more of a conceptual piece than a fashionable item appropriate for that setting. So instead, I'm playing the song Unravel by Bjork and am going to do what is probably distastefully too literal for the 3 minutes the song will play. I will have a red ribbon wrapped around me tightly and for the first minute or so, writhe on the floor in "pain." Then Maryann will come and make me stand up and begin to unravel me from the ribbon. She is removing the pain and suffering, leaving me standing there with a felt skin with sewn scars over one breast and under the belly button. I am still debating whether or not to be wearing a mask over my eyes while in pain in the beginning.
I'm not sure what that looks like since I can't see myself when I've got it on...
It's about the identity that comes from surviving pain and suffering in life.

I was thinking I should post my plans for this performance partly as a way to solidify my thoughts, and partly because it relates to Synecdoche.

No comments: