Tuesday, December 30, 2008

today was a good day.

Today I woke up happy. No reason, just felt happy.
Had some coffee.
Did some stuff, including burning a bunch of movies and shows onto my laptop.
Then the sun came out blaring so bright that this New Mexican winter day felt like Bellingham summer. My mom and I sat out in it for a couple of hours.
I tried reading a book, but it was too wordy and I kept getting lost in the descriptions, unable to follow any plot. I'll take the blame for that though, I wasn't focusing very well. Anyway, I switched to just listening to music and sitting in the sun.

And I guess the access to sun set the tone for the rest of the day. I always forget what a difference sunshine can make in life and how everything is so rosy when you're full of vitamin d.

My mom and I had a couple of good laughs towards evening time. One was because she decided to put the Love Boat on television even though I clearly dissaproved. Then she started explaining that my sister Alisha used to watch that show because she had a crush on one of the characters. Just after she said that they were showing individual shots of each main character and we were trying to guess which was the one. The first was an old man with grey hair, the second a nerdy balding man with huge bulbous glasses, and the third an African American bartender with a full afro, mustache and swanky grin. Clearly, it was the bartender.
Then my dad walked in the room, and emphatically asked, "Why are you watching the Love Boat?!"

The other thing that made us crack up was when I looked up a movie they had downloaded on rotten tomatoes to check its rating. I saw 72% and said in an optimistic tone, "Oh that looks like it could be okay!" My mom sort of nodded, showing she was listening. Then I read through some of the plot and it sounded truly terrible.
And noticing my mistake, I felt giddy and began laughing really loudly. My mom looked at me and I admitted that actually it read 27%. Dyslexia is kicking in now too, at least my senility will have a companion.
I'm not sure why it was so funny. This is definitely one of those stories that doesn't translate an hour later.
Maybe it was the sun.

Anyway, I leave tomorrow.
Two weeks soared past us. I just got used to being here a couple of days ago. I like this place and now I just want to pose a question:
Is this really the last relocation of the nomadic Mann parents?