Tuesday, June 9, 2009

rock climbing

I hate it when I type out a dream, then it won't post and I have to type it again.
It looses all of its charm!

Anyway,
last night I dreamt I was walking on a Wizard of Oz-esque path with my brother Shaun. The bricks were yellow, the setting made entirely of endless hills in every direction, all lit by a blue-green tone. It was surreal. Nobody else was there.
I looked down to the side of the path and noticed there was a valley that also served as a water drain. I decided to explore down there while he continued to walk along the path.

The grass down there was thick, and large patches were steeped in moist mud. It was slippery and I had to be careful. I continued walking down there for a long time, until I reached one of those concrete tunnels that allows the water flow to continue through land. I realized, reaching that point, that I was now in a place where the path was at least two stories above me. I'd have to either climb the moist mud or the large tan boulders that now lined the walls of the valley.

I decided to climb the rocks, and it wasn't until I reached the last one that I realized what a predicament I put myself in.
I could fall down, easily. The rock could dislodge from the wall. For all I know this could be a fragile rock that crumbles under weight. (I remember thinking Maryann would know...) I paused at that last rock thinking these things and thinking about how high I was and how I should be terrified, but instead I was relatively calm and accepting of whatever was going to happen.
The prospect of death or pain was okay with me.

But I was fine. I reached over that last rock and held onto a pole on the other side, pulling myself up and over and rejoined Shaun on the path.

Everything was unusually calm in that dream, so calm it was unsettling.

Later I sat across from Shaun at a restaurant and we bonded over some kind of American food like hamburgers. We talked about when he was younger.

I feel like this dream must mean something because the whole rock climbing thing sounds like a metaphor. But what is it a metaphor for? I feel like there are a lot of problems that need surmounting right now.

No comments: