Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Vegetarianism

I realized last night in talking with a friend who is vegetarian, that I'm essentially already the same.
I hadn't really thought about it, but I don't eat beef or pork ever (if I have the choice), chicken very rarely, and I don't like most seafoods.
I also am lactose intolerant so I don't drink milk or eat much cheese. I do eat yogurt though, a lot, so I guess I can't call myself vegan.

The thing about red meats is that when I eat them I get a sneaking feeling they aren't being fully digested by my body and little pieces of meat are sticking to my intestines, resting there forever and making me die a quicker death.
Also, after reading Fast Food Nation, supporting the meat industry in America is very difficult. Of course they pointed out the worst possible scenarios in factories. But just the thought of any of it as truth is sickening.
Another reason for not eating meat, at least in America, is the feeding situation. They're generally, from what I've heard, not feeding the cattle what they're meant to be eating naturally, corn mostly; so we end up with the junk they're feeding them by eating what's left in their muscles.

I've been thinking about these reasons and there's more, but that's sufficient to mention. I absolutely am not against other people eating meat. I do think animals are around, partly, for humans to be consuming. Why else would the protein they provide keep us alive and healthy?
But I'm going to go veg for a while.

Not sure why I'm posting this as a note.
I have had a lot of people ask me on multiple occasions whether or not I am vegetarian, so maybe this will be a good way to set things straight. I am, and there's no place better than Bellingham for it.

Random thought. Is there any country whose population is primarily vegetarian?

2 comments:

leila said...

india! india?

Carissa said...

yeah. I was thinking maybe India.