Wednesday, September 17, 2008

last night

So I'm beginning to feel like the world is going a little hay-wire. I've heard that term used before and I feel that, in the context of current events, it is the appropriate use of it.

Yesterday a group of friends were all going to meet at a place downtown for live music. Four bands were playing as a part of the Whaam festival, something something all-ages music, and it was an exciting prospect.
Before leaving, one of the girls at the house we were to depart from, began crying. I'm not going into that, because it's too personal and I hardly even know the story. But to be blunt, some guys are just not worth it.
We got there late, and two of my friends who planned to meet us there never showed. Glenn, oneo f the two, tried calling me and letting me know what was going on, but I couldn't understand his message, and later when he called I still couldn't understand because it was loud everywhere.
He finally sent me a text message, despite the many conversations we've had about his distate for texting, which said "Maia got hit by a car and her leg is broken."

When we got home, I went on the internet to find a note on facebook explaining a little further what happened. Maia, an awesome friend of mine, was riding her bike with her boyfriend Glenn and as she rode to cross a street an SUV turned straight into her. I called Glenn after seeing the note. He told me, after the car hit her, he was expecting her to have died. Fortunately they were near the firestation or police station, I'm not sure which, but the full ambulance service was there for her immediately. They took them to the local E.R. and last night flew her to Seattle for surgery because her leg was broken so badly and the arterial damage was such it was necessary. Glenn was reassured though that her leg will be able to heal eventually, that she's not losing the limb.
I'm slowly realizing all of the implications this injury will have in Maia's life.

I don't know what to say.
Life is weird in Bellingham right now.

No comments: