Sunday, November 30, 2008

katie

Last night Katie and I were downtown for 6 hours. Apparently I hadn't had enough of her, so I dreamt of her too.

We were in the art department and there was a substitute for one of my classes. She was tagging along with me the whole day. The substitute was actually an English professor at WWU by the name Margaritas. He had on his regular fancy shoes and khaki trench coat over a billion dollar suit. He turned on some film and told us to sit down and watch it as we streamed into the room. I felt annoyed immediately because he hadn't given any thought to the arrangement of chairs, leaving me with a spot totally uncomfortable. I had to make a fuss and move my chair to be beside him in order to get a good view of the screen.
(Just before I had been in a critique and everyone's art was mind-blowing. They were all students I didn't recognize as well.)
I put the chair next to him, then went to use the restroom. Instead of returning to the classroom, Katie and I walked around. We wandered into a room with mechanical equipment lining the walls. We sat down at the desk, equipped with microphones and all. Realizing it was set up for radio broadcasts, we decided to take advantage. I pressed the buttons and she talked. We aired a show during a regular time slot for some other boring show about hawks or ancient music or something. Immediately after I was paranoid that somebody was going to get really upset with us for messing with their equipment, and we would be punished for making fools of them on air. When I began getting paranoid, Katie got a call from some girls who just heard us on the radio. They asked if they could come by and talk too, to promote their women's healthy body image/sexual awareness/feminism club. They had an acronym but I can't remember it. Katie, being the nice person she is, said of course! and hung up. She told me what they asked and I freaked (mildly). I told her how stupid it would be if we actually allowed them to come by. I also brought up that she had just proudly announced herself by full name on the air so she couldn't avoid the punishment. And topped it off with a persuasive comment on how we were quickly getting out of hand and into trouble. She understood and agreed. Then we laughed and moved on.

1 comment:

Katie said...

The wonderful thing is that sounds like something we very easily could have done. . .or will do. :)
Oh, and it's funny that you dreamed about Margaritis because came into my work the other day--what a character.
I think maybe I got the good vibes from your dream. I woke up indescribably happy this morning :)