Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Han Zi and an unknown berry

Yesterday Justin's Chinese tutor, Wang Lao Shi, came over for his lesson. She invited me to join them, so I did and I understood a lot of it.
Justin and her were reading through a dialogue that only had the Chinese characters, Han Zi, and I asked if I could try. She had me read after her the first time through, then I said I wanted to read as much as I could by myself. A lot of the characters we had learned last year in my class, so they were familiar. I was able to read most of it, which was really exciting.
Lao Shi gave me some homework to do so I can catch up on some of the lessons I've missed and I'm going to join them in their classes.

It makes me so happy, because I was starting to worry I was forgetting all of what I worked hard to learn over that year at Western studying Chinese.

And by the way, Justin is surprisingly fluent in conversational Chinese. When we went to the store to buy a cell phone he was talking to the sales clerks easily and was bartering in another.


This is one of the dialogues we were reading.

Justin and Wang Lao Shi.

Wang Lao Shi





Yesterday we also bought some fruit. I picked up these berries that taste like bitter raspberries, have the texture of broccoli, and have big seeds in the middle. I'll ask someone what they're called.

Oh, Oh! And yesterday I looked up my grades for Spring Quarter at Western and I got a 3.90! I got all A's, which was suprising because one of my classes was hell to get through. Each two hour session was like wading through thick gelatin...but I don't mind that anymore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your china-berries are terrifying.

Props for being able to speak surprise-chinese.

Anastasya said...

Congrats on the A's and the ability to read those crazy characters!

China sounds like fun, you should give me your address there, so I can send you other sorts of Asian delights.